Monday, August 15, 2011

Sun Valley Family Reunion

 My very favorite part about summer is our annual Child family reunion in Sun Valley, Idaho. The Child family has been going up there every summer for 54 years and each year I leave wondering how I'll ever survive waiting an entire year before I get up there again. We always do the same things, more or less, but each year I think that it was just a little better than the year before. It just keeps getting better. This year it was so fun to have Bennett there and introduce him to my favorite place on earth. Good thing he loved it as much as I do...well almost as much.

We arrived on Monday afternoon and got together for FHE that night. We were split into four different teams and even got matching hats.

We played a ton of different "minute to win it" games. Watching my dad put a nylon on his head and run around trying to knock soda cans down with the baseball in the toe of them was my favorite one to watch. 



We stayed at a condo that had to have been owned by a 90-something year old man who hadn't redecorated since the late 60's/early 70's. We found more treasures there than we had ever dreamed of, including little boys red undies in a drawer, a legitimate Russian hat, and a 16 inch statue of Michaelangleo's The David. We decided to make a game out The David that went something like this:

One couple started with the David in their room at night.
The Object: Get rid of the David and don't be the one to end up with it in your room at 6:00 am.


The Rules:

  1. If you were caught putting the David in someone's room at night, you had to try again in a different room. 
  2. The David must be elevated in the person's room that you put it in. 
  3. Whoever ends up with the David at 6:00 am must carry the said statue around in public for one hour. 


For a complete run down of how the game went check out my sisters blog here.
To entice you to read it, I'll just say that one morning Bennett and I woke up around 5:30 to Ethan climbing the emergency ladder outside our bedroom window with the David in toe yelling "You cheated, mom!"  This is the best picture I could get...


Bennett and I with the David at the family party. At one point someone fashioned a diaper of sorts around David out of pink streamers. I thought it was a nice touch. 


Tuesday day we went to the Sun Valley Golf course and played a round of Putt-Putt.



Like most years, I was lucky enough to have my birthday in Sun Valley. 21 years old! Woot woot!
It was so fun being able to celebrate it with all of my favorite people. 



We had our annual cherry pit spitting contest and Megan and Beth were in the top of the women's division as always, but this year Allie took second! Way to represent. 

On Thursday we had our girl cousin lunch while the guys all hit the golf course.

We headed up to Red Fish Lake on Thursday afternoon. It was possibly the most freezing body of water I have ever been in. At first the boys were the only ones brave enough to enter, but they somehow convinced Andrea and I to join in. We lasted about 15 minutes before I hit the bathrooms and changed back into my sweatshirt. It sure was fun while it lasted though...kind of. 







On our last night we all went to one of the best Italian restaurants this side of of the Mississippi. It was the perfect way to end the trip. 


I'm already counting down the days until next year! 

1 comment:

  1. My husband's family goes to Idaho for a family reunion every summer too! And they've been going for around 54 years too! They go to Alturas Lake. This summer we stopped by Red Fish! That's so funny that you're family has been doing almost the same thing too.

    ReplyDelete